Friday, December 30, 2011

My first meal

I spent the day researching traditional dishes and came up with this: pui cu smantana si mamaliga. 



Polenta/mamaliga and I do not get along - at some point, I will master the fine art of boiling water with cornmeal in it, but apparently not today.   I've made it several times and it is never quite the right texture/consistency.

The chicken was wonderful.  I served it to A (the kids had eaten plain chicken and pineapple earlier for their dinner - they won't eat sour cream) with high hopes.  Was I on the right track? Are the spices right? Does it taste like it should? He's never had it before.  Figures. 

The recipe I used was from Tasty Kitchen, of all places.  I know, very traditional. There are only so many words I can translate myself (most of which are foods), so I am a bit limited.  We have several cookbooks in the kitchen, but only one is in English (the translations crack me up - the running joke at the moment is that I will be making "apples on the sofa" very soon), and not everything is the way he remembers. 

Overall, I am happy with this as a first meal.  I wish I could have gotten some actual feedback on it, but there was no way I was cooking for A's parents when that was the first meal I've made myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment