Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cotlete ardelenesti

Whenever I log into facebook these days, probably a good quarter of my feed is in Romanian (thankfully my lessons are going well and my textbook arrived the other night!).  This recipe for cotlete ardelenesti popped up in my feed about a week ago and I made it on Monday night.



Cotlete Ardelenesti
Pork cutlets, cubed
1-2 red peppers, thinly sliced
1 onion, diced
Salt, pepper, parsley
Sunflower oil

Brown the cubed pork in oil; remove and saute the peppers and onions in oil until the onions are translucent.  Add pork back into the pan. 

Make dumplings - the recipe I originally was using was confusing on this; in the ingredient section it said to use 2 eggs and a bowl of flour, and in the directions it said 3 eggs, and still no actual measurement for flour.  My guess is that the author figured people making this would already know how to make dumplings, but I've actually never made them before, so I poked around on the net to find dumpling making 101.  The recipe I came up with was for 3 cups of flour, 3 eggs, 1 tablespoon of salt and 1/2 cup water.  Mix all ingredients together and drop by rounded spoonful into boiling water.  Boil for 10 minutes.  This produced very tough, dense dumplings that the kids loved, but I was not thrilled with.  Insight from A, who has never had dumplings in anything other than soup, but has made them for that purpose several times - skip the flour and use farina instead.  Will try that next time!

The verdict: Once again, a traditional recipe A has never had.  I seem to be *very* good at finding those :P  But everyone liked it, and with different dumplings, it will go into our dinner rotation . 

No comments:

Post a Comment