Monday, January 30, 2012

Chiftelute marinate cu piure

Tried another recipe - this time from the Traditional Romanian Food blog. The Italian in me cringed at meatballs with mashed potatoes, bu I persevered, telling her to shut up :P 






It came out ok.  A looked at the recipe after dinner and critiqued it with me.  It's some thing to try again definitely, because it would be great comfort food, and both kids would eat it.  But with some adjustments - the recipe needs far more spices (you couldn't taste any of the spices at all), I won't use bouillon at all, and the marinade needs work (too much water for only 2t tomato paste - even with the bouillon).  And, according to A, traditionally chiftelute are not round like Italian meatballs, but flattened, almost like little patties.  So I will take that into consideration next time.  We had leftovers, and since you couldn't taste the spices at all, I doctored up the chiftelute and made Italian sauce and lasagna with meatballs the following night.  And homemade cannolli - I asked A if he wouldn't rather just be Italian ... it would be so much easier.  I mean, I can already cook Italian food, and I can speak some Italian, and with him already speaking Romanian, learning Italian would be a breeze ...

The verdict? Try again, but this will go into our repertoire for sure.  I will be trying it again this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment